Monday, March 1, 2010

Baile Atha Cliath (Dublin)

This past weekend I was planning on going on a trip to Nice and Monaco, but my plans changed, so I decided to fly to Dublin for the weekend to visit Patrick. It was his birthday yesterday (Monday), so I got in touch with the Wheaton girls in his program, and we worked out a way to get me there and surprise him for his birthday. I've been in Rome for a month, and I was thinking it was about time to do some exploring, and Dublin was definitely the perfect place for that! Patrick was very surprised (and happy) to see me, and it's nice having a tour guide who's been studying the literature and history of the place you're visiting!

I flew out late on Thursday night, so Friday we walked around the city a bit. It was a decent temperature (although a bit colder than Rome), and the sun even managed to make it out for a bit! Here are a few pictures from our first day's walk:

Trinity College:
Garden of Remembrance:
We also went on a tour of Dublin Castle, and went to the Old Jameson Distillery. At the Dublin Castle, we got to go on a tour of the grounds, and see the government building as it is today, as well as the excavations underground to show how the castle was in the past:
The Birthday Boy enjoying his complimentary whiskey:

I'm planning to make it back to Ireland in April, but visit more of the countryside on that trip (and maybe the Guinness factory, as I did enjoy my pints of Guinness this past weekend). As for this week, I've got classes through Thursday, then I'll be heading to Frankfurt for the weekend! After my field studies I might upload some pictures to show you what my classes have been like. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment